Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"Hole In My Heart" vocals in the can

While not the epic progress that I made the other day on the vocals for the session, "Hole in My Heart" was in the can yesterday after about three hours of singing. The vocals ended up comprising seven parts in all, and I have begun to take my approach to them from my days working with Michael Lord.

Here's the deal: sing the song - the whole song. Sing it like you mean it. Sing the whole song like you mean it until you think you like it. Then listen to every bit of it in isolation, line by line. Don't like a line? Then fix it. Once the lead vocals are done, I'll go through for any doubling of the lead I want to hear or primary harmony, then add backing vocals and harmonies and kaboom - seven vocals tracks are suddenly there to manage, and I'm a step closer.

How did I ever think I would finish this in April? Crazy.

No comments: